Thinking back to this simple yet delicious dessert brings back memories of apple picking at Patterson’s Fruit Farms in Chesterland, Ohio. The warm apples mixed with cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg always pairs perfectly with a heaping scoop of cold vanilla ice cream. Pro Tip: For a crisp crunchy top, be sure to clump your oat mixture up in your hands before placing it on the apples. So get out to your local farm and pick up a bag of fresh apples so you can whip up this apple crisp!
Yields 10-12 servings
8-9 apples, peeled and cored
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. King Arthur organic flour
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/4 cup King Arthur organic flour
1/2 cups whole rolled oats
3/4 cup butter, melted (about 10 Tbsp.)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. Vitacost organic ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Pink Salt
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To prepare your apples, first peel, decore, and slice all apples into wedges- slice again to make wedges more thin. Add the lemon juice and using your fingers, mix apples to coat evenly. Next, add the sugar and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a glass mixing bowl, combine oat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, salt, and walnuts. Mix until topping mixture has formed.
- In a casserole dish, pour apple and evenly place the topping mixture over the apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly and top is brown.
- Serve immediately with a side of ice cream or a whipped cream topping if you choose.
Chef’s tip: You can add 1/2 tsp. vanilla to the apples if you’d like before baking for added flavor.