This Valentines Day, instead of a fancy restaurant- why not set the mood at home. With these tasty meatless “steaks”, you can! Using beets, mushrooms, onions, and other ingredients, this recipe is packed with lots of nutritious benefits. Whether you pair this with a side of mashed potatoes, asparagus or something you choose, you’ll enjoy a plant-based “filet” that you can now bake or even grill after baking for added flavor!
Yields 5 servings
8 oz. extra firm tofu, pressed and drained
1 cup baby bella mushrooms
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. avocado oil
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1-1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp.tamari sauce
1 medium beet, peeled and roasted
2 tsp. parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. smoke flavoring
1-1/2 tsp. vegan worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. rosemary, chopped
1 tsp. ground white pepper
2-1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup oat flour
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a blender, combine everything except for the nutritional yeast, oat flour, and vital wheat gluten. Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients you didn’t add in above’s step. Pour the mixture into the flour and stir until well combined.
- Scoop into 5 even spheres and flatten out into a “filet” shape. Wrap in tin foil or other wrapping material and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 60 to 80 minutes; allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Slice and serve with mashed potatoes and asparagus.
Chef’s tip: Feel free to season the outside of the “meat” like a regular patty once the shapes have been formed. Also, if you’d like to make one big “tenderloin roast”, place mixture into a log shape and wrap in foil.