Cashews are such a universal ingredient that can be used to make countless recipes. This cashew cream cheese is made with fresh spices, probiotics and other nutritional ingredients. At the beginning of each week (typically Sundays), I try to make one of these variations: a veggie, plain, or herb cream cheese. This recipe is a good base to use to create other cream cheese flavors, just be sure to switch up the herbs and other added ingredients.
Yields 8 oz. cream cheese
3 cup cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup filtered water
1/2 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
2 Tbsp. chives (or green onions)
1-1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika, optional
1-1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- In a food processor, combine cashews, probiotic, water, salt and pulse until smooth in consistency.
- Using two cheese clothes layered in a colander, pour the mixture into the lines colander- folding the cheesecloth on top.
- Place this in a warm spot to culture for roughly 24-36 hours.
- Place your cultured cream cheese into a bowl and add the onion flakes, chives, garlic powder, lemon juice, and optional paprika.
- Mix until well combined and place back into the fridge for 30 minutes (this is to let the flavors meld together).
- Serve with choice of bagel or toast.
Chef’s tip: Make sure to soak the cashews for 7-9 hours for an extra creamy and smooth cream cheese.