This isn’t any ordinary baked potato soup. Why, you ask? Well, it may be rich, it may be creamy, but this baked potato soup is both dairy- and bacon-free. Plus, it tastes way better (and it’s healthier). What’s even more exciting is that this recipe includes two star ingredients from another comfort food favorite: broccoli and cheddar. You definitely won’t regret asking for seconds when it comes to this tasty soup that you can enjoy for lunch or as an appetizer.
Yield 6 servings
1 russet potato
2 broccoli heads
1 medium onion, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
2 medium carrots, cubed
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
1 quart plain almond milk
3 cups vegetable broth
1/4 green onion, leave 1 Tbsp. to garnish with
1/2 cup vegan sharp cheddar cheese, leave a pinch for garnish
Portobello mushroom “bacon”
1 Portabello mushroom, sliced
1 tsp. smokey flavor
1 small ciabatta bread, diced into cubes
1 tsp. garlic powder
Pinch Vitacost Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In bowl, drizzle oil over sliced mushrooms.
- Add salt, pepper and smoke flavor. Mix until evenly coated.
- On baking sheet, evenly arrange mushrooms.
- Bake 10-15 minutes.
- Flip mushrooms and bake for another 10 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drizzle oil onto baking sheet.
- Add diced bread and coat with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- In large pot, sauté sliced onion, carrot and celery for 5-10 minutes until transparent and soft. Season with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Sprinkle flour over sautéed vegetables and mix. Slowly add vegetable stock, almond milk, broccoli and potatoes to pot. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes have cooked. Mix in green onions.
- Serve with croutons, green onion, vegan cheddar cheese and mushroom “bacon” on top.
Chef’s tip: You can add 1-1/2 cups of vegan cheddar cheese to the soup directly and stir to mix if desired.