I’m a sucker for authentic Italian food. Pretty much any combo of sauce, cheese and some sort of breading used to be my go-to. Going vegan certainly doesn’t change this. All it takes are a few alternate ingredients to duplicate any classic Italian dish. I created the following recipe to vegan-ize my favorite one of all! These chickpea cutlets come together super quickly and taste great when smothered in homemade tomato sauce with cashew “Parmesan” (or your preferred dairy-free cheese!). Be sure to pile your serving platter high because your family will devour this delicious, cruelty-free take on typical Parm.
Yields 4 cutlets
1 cups Vitacost Garbanzo Beans, soaked and drained
1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer Gluten Free + 2 Tbsp. Water, mixed together
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley + extra for garnish
1 small clove garlic
1/4 tsp. Simply Organic Thyme
1 tsp. Simply Organic Oregano
1 cup plain almond milk
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups vegan Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. Spicely Organics ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In food processor, pulse chickpeas, white rice and egg mixture until well combined.
- Mix in poultry seasoning, parsley, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Form dough-like mixture into flattened patty-shape discs.
- Bread chickpea cutlet first by dipping into almond milk, then into the flour, then back into the almond milk, and finally into the bread crumbs.
- Place breaded cutlets onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Chef’s tip: For easier breading, place formed cutlets into the freezer to harden.