Making this nutritiously-packed Veggie Quesadilla is an easy week day meal, but also a crowd pleaser (especially on those taco Tuesday nights)! In developing this recipe, I really wanted to give you guys something that tasted like it cooked for hours, but in reality, took less than 30 minutes. Normally quesadillas are used with lots of cheese, sour cream, and everyone’s favorite- pulled chicken! Not this one though!! I love using mushrooms as mock “meat” for texture and added nutrients as well as non-dairy cheese alternatives (that are just as cheesy). Whose ready to make the best Veggie Quesadilla around?!
Yields 5-7 servings
5-7 flour tortillas
1 medium onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
2 cups sliced Shiitake mushrooms
3/4 cup fresh corn
3 Tbsp. filtered water
2 cup black beans, soaked and cooked
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
2 Tbsp. hemp seeds
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup guacamole
1/2 cup fresh salsa
3 cups cooked rice
- In a frying pan, sauté the onions, mushrooms, garlic, and peppers until translucent and slightly brown on medium heat.
- Add the corn, black beans, and seasonings. Give a good mix and cook for 6-8 minutes until everything is warmed through and thickened. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture onto a tortilla with rice and fold in half.
- In a slightly greased pan, pan fry both sides for 2-3 minutes to allow the outside to brown.
- Slice and serve with guacamole and salsa.
Chef’s tip: Add some sauce to this quesadilla by making my ancho chili sauce! It’s spicy and the perfect addition.