Oyster Mushroom Vegan Crab Cakes are one of my favorite alternative dishes. Seasoned with old bay and other classic ingredients, these crabless cakes remind me that plant-based dishes don’t have to lack flavor or be boring. It’s perfect as a side dish or between a freshly toasted buttered bun. No matter which way you pick, this dish is a must try!
Yield: 6 crabless cakes
3 Tbsp. plant-based mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. melted plant-based butter
12 oz. lions mane mushrooms
1/4 cup celery, finely diced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 2 Tbsp. water, mixed
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 Tbsp. parsley, minced
1 1/4 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/8 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and melted butter. Set aside.
- Rinse lions mane mushrooms and squeeze any remaining water. Dice into small chunky pieces.
- In a large bowl, add mushrooms, sauce mixture from above, celery, bell pepper, egg replacer, bread crumbs, parsley, old bay, salt, and fold until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove crabless mixture from refrigerator and scoop into 6 mounds. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Serve immedietly with lemon wedges.
Chef’s tip: To fry, heat an inch of oil on medium-high heat. Pan fry each side until golden brown, 2-5 minutes per side.