This Crispy Shallot Farro Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette is simply divine! Using the cooled infused shallot-oil as the base for the dressing adds a depth of flavor like no other! The perfect thing about this salad is how universal it can be, as either a side dish or main entree.
Yield: 4 servings
2-3 romaine lettuce heads, washed, quartered & chopped
1 cup farro
2 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
3 oz. shallots, halved & thinly sliced
1/3 cup avocado oil
3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. agave
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- In a small skillet on medium heat, add oil and sauté shallots until golden brown, roughly 8 minutes. Remove shallots with slotted spoon onto a paper towel and add oil to a blender.
- Begin a low speed and carefully drizzle apple cider vinegar with Dijon, agave, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a pot, bring vegetable broth, bay leaf, and salt to boil and add farro. Reduce heat to low and simmer, cooking for 27 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and cooked. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- On a large plate, place lettuce down and top with farro and vinaigrette. Top with crispy shallots.
- Serve garnished with parsley and basil.
Chef’s tip: For individual plates, top romaine with 1/2 cup farro for each plate.