This is the perfect thick, creamy and rich soup that is packing a huge flavor punch. It is so simple that I created it when I was looking at a can of coconut cream and a fresh butternut squash, thinking to myself what can I do. Being able to create something from nothing is a super important quality to have. Its like the saying, “when life brings you lemons- make lemonade!” Only this time, when life gives you a handful of ingredients, create something delicious! With this simple and tasty way to use squash, it will be an a huge hit for your family or friends.
Yields 4 servings
1 butternut squash
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 Tbsp. avocado oil
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup shallots
1 garlic clove
1 Tbsp. Earth’s Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
1 tsp. Vitacost organic brown sugar
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Pinch of Spicely Organic Ground Black Pepper
1-2 Tbsp. Thai Coconut Cream, optional topping
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, topping
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet, place the two butternut squash halves you cut length-wise, flesh side up, and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and turn over so the skin is now facing up. Roast for 40-45 minutes until squash is tender. Set aside to cool.
- Once squash has cooled (around 8-10 minutes), remove the squash flesh from the peel and discard or compost the remains.
- In a skillet, turn to medium heat and add olive oil, onions, and shallots- sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In a medium sized pot, on medium heat add the butternut squash, brown sugar, vegetable broth, onions and shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Using a hand held emersion blender, purée all ingredients until smooth. Then pour in the coconut cream and stir until combined. Cook for 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to meld on medium-low heat. Be sure to stir frequently so it does not burn.
- Serve with parsley and coconut cream drizzled on top or freeze for up to 1 month.
Chef’s tip: To make soup more creamy, use 1-2 Tbsp. coconut cream more and blend.