If Thanksgiving had a specific taste, I think it would be this recipe. This butternut squash macaroni and cheese is the perfect alternative if you are living a plant-based lifestyle or if you simply can’t tolerate dairy. This meal is simple, comforting, and can be paired well with a simple green salad for a perfect meatless meal. I think you may have just stumbled across your new favorite fall dish!
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 small shallot, quartered
1-1/2 cups oat milk
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 lb. box elbow pasta, cooked
1-1/2 cups vegan cheddar cheese
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
- In a pot over medium-high heat, add the butternut squash, shallots, milk, vegetable broth, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until squash is tender. Check with a fork after 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the squash and milk mixture until smooth. Mix in the nutmeg and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta with the squash sauce. Add the cheddar and Parmesan cheese.
- Stir until the pasta is well combined and the cheese has melted.
- Serve and enjoy.
Chef’s tip: For an added bonus, crisp up some sage leaves in vegan butter. Drizzle some of the sage butter on top as well.