Fast and healthy meals don’t always have to be made from scratch, but that doesn’t mean they need to be completely store bought either. This taco “meat” is really neat! (pun intended) Why you may be wondering? Because it has all of the flavor and ingredients inside, all you need to do is add water and give it a good ol’ mix and voila- you are ready to go. You will be delighted to find out how great this Mexican style taco neat “meat” tastes! Don’t forget to kick it up a notch by adding a bunch of plant-based toppings like lettuce, guacamole, and mango salsa!
Yields 8 tacos
1 pouch Neat Foods Mexican-Style
1/2 cup water
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp. avocado oil
1/2 cup cooked white rice
1/4 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/2 lime, squeezed
1 tsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Using a bowl, pour the contents of the pouch into a bowl and mix with water. Set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add the oil and onion, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the neat Mexican style “meat” to the pan, breaking it up into crumbles as if browns, roughly 10-12 minutes.
- In another bowl, add the rice, minced cilantro, salt, and lime juice and mix (season to taste).
- In either a hard or soft shell, place some of the rice, followed by taco meat, lettuce, salsa, and guacamole (or with whatever toppings you’d like).
Chef’s tip: if you would like to spice up the neat Mexican style mix, add 1-2 tsp. siracha.