Sushi for dinner is always a fun night out, but why not bring that fun into your own kitchen! This “lobster” bomb roll packs healthy ingredients like an Asian-style chickpea salad and fresh veggies from the farmers markets all rolled in a nori sheet. Bake this until the chickpea salad is bubbly and warm and serve with your favorite garnishes like wasabi, or pickled ginger. This plant-based “lobster” bomb will give you that sushi satisfaction while being in the comfort of your own home. Who’s ready?
Yields 4 rolls
1 (8 oz.) firm tofu
4-1/2 nori sheets
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup vegan mayo
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 avocado, sliced
1 carrot, julienned
1 cucumber, julienned
2 cups sushi rice, cooked
1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. agave
1 cup Vitacost garbanzo beans, cooked
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. siracha
1 Tbsp. green onions, chopped
1 tsp. agave
1 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- Place tofu in a press or on paper towel and drain the water out. Slice into 8 cubed sticks.
- In a bowl, combine the almond milk and vegan mayo and mix well.
- Roll the tofu sticks into the mixture. Then place into the bread crumbs and continue until all tofu has been breaded.
- Preheat oven or air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor, combine all of the toppings for the “lobster bomb” topping and pulse until well mixed (leave some chunks of chickpeas for texture).
- In a sauce pan, add the rice and water according to the package instructions and cook until done, about 20 minutes or so deepening on the sushi rice. Add the agave and rice wine vinegar, and mix carefully. Set aside to cool.
- Add 1/2 cup of rice to the nori sheet (shiny side facing up). With wet finger tips, carefully press the sushi rice to cover the entire sheet, except for an inch from the top.
- At the base, add the carrots, cucumber, avocado, and “lobster” tempura. To roll, take the bottom of the mat and roll the sushi forward while tucking the filling in. Pull the roll back and press it firm to make sure it is tight. Roll it again and pull it taught and press it firm until it is completely rolled. Do this to the next three nori sheets until you are finished.
- To slice the sushi, cut the roll in the middle, and then the middle of those halves and so on. Lay the sushi on a oven safe plate and top with the chickpea mixture.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Place the sushi on the top rack and allow the mixture to get bubbly and a bit brown; remove from oven.
- Serve with wasabi, ginger, soy sauce, or your toppings and sauces of choice.
Chef’s tip: Feel free to add whatever you would like as vegetables to this sushi roll. Its a really great recipe to build off of.
You must be logged in to post a comment.