This Tortilla Soup is like no other, partially because it is filled with all the things I enjoy most about Mexican cooking, and because it’s plant-based. Normally, it is made with shredded chicken and a lot of cheese, so I am super excited to share this healthier vegan version with you! This meal is packed with a variety of fresh and organic vegetables and is topped with crunchy tortilla strips. This soup will warm you up all winter long!
Yields 4 servings
2 Tbsp. avocado oil
8 white corn tortillas, cut into quarters
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp. onion, minced
1 tsp. jalapeno pepper, chopped
3 cups white corn
3 cups vine ripe tomatoes
1/3 cup tomato paste
2-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1-1/2 cups filtered water
4 cups organic vegetable broth
1 Tbsp. cilantro, minced
1 cup vegan cheese, optional
Tortilla strips, optional garnish
- In a pot on medium-low heat with your oil, add the corn tortillas and crisp up a bit, roughly 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside briefly.
- Then you will add the garlic, onion, and jalapeño pepper until they are translucent but not browned. Put the corn tortillas back into the pot.
- Next add your tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, water, vegetable broth, cilantro, tomatoes, and half of the corn. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cooking for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a blender or hand emersion stick, blend until soup is smooth in texture. Add the remaining corn and bring back to the stove on a low heat to simmer. Be careful not to let the bottom of the soup burn. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Serve soup topped with tortilla chips and optional vegan cheese.
Chef’s tip: If you want, you can add 1/4 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes to spice the soup up for a better kick.