Fresh, warm cinnamon buns in the morning bring forth all the feels. If you consider this indulgent treat a thing of the past, you may want to give my guilt-free version a shot. Made with organic, non-GMO and dairy-free ingredients, these spiraled rolls will without a doubt taste better than you remember. Enjoy the smell of cinnamon, brown sugar and vegan butter bubbling away in the oven while you prepare sweet, homemade icing to melt on top. Share them with your family on a lazy weekend morning to bring life back to your breakfast table!
If you prefer mini cinnamon rolls, simply cut this recipe in half.
Yields 20 cinnamon rolls
1 1/2 cup plain almond milk, luke warm
4 1/2 tsp. Red Star Active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup Florida Crystals organic cane sugar
4 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer Gluten Free + 8 Tbsp water, mixed together
1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, melted
6 cups King Arthur Flour organic unbleached All Purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
1 cup Vitacost certified organic light brown sugar – non-GMO
4 Tbsp. Vitacost certified organic ground cinnamon
6 Tbsp. water or butter substitute, melted
1 1/2 cups Vitacost Certified Organic Powdered Sugar – Non-GMO
16 oz. Kite Hill plain cream cheese
1 tsp. Frontier Co-Op Organic Vanilla Extract
Optional: Chopped Walnuts
- In mixing bowl, combine the warm almond milk and yeast to create your starter. Once you see bubbles or froth on top you can add your sugar, butter, and egg replacer mixture. Mix to combine.
- Sift together flour and salt into a bowl, slowly pour dry ingredients into your wet ingredients and mix to combine. Dough will be sticky, that is when you know it is done. Place into a light oiled bowl and cover with a dish towel or wrap. Allow to double in size, roughly 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Once dough has doubled in size, place onto a floured counter and roll into a 12×15 rectangle. Taking the butter, smear over the entire rectangle and sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Next you will take your cinnamon and put it evenly on top of the brown sugar and butter.
- To roll, take the closest edge and begin to tuck and roll it up. Continue to roll the dough into a log shape. Be careful when you cut the log up into pieces so that you do not squish the dough.
- Place Cinnamon rolls onto greased baking dish and allow to rise again for 30-45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- While they are sitting, mix together your powdered sugar, almond milk, vanilla, butter, and cream cheese until smooth. Place in fridge and cover until cinnamon buns are ready.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Allow to cool down for 10 minutes and smear cream cheese frosting on top.
Chef’s tip: If you would like, you may add walnuts or raisins to the filling. Or if you wanted, you could add different seeds to the dough after rolling it out for a new flavor.
2 Replies to “Cinnamon Rolls with “Cream Cheese” Frosting”
One of my favorite recipes ever!!
Thank you so much! I made this again but used peanut butter and jam… boy oh boy was it delicious!
Comments are closed.