Have left over mashed potatoes in the fridge and don’t know what to make? This easy shepherds pie recipe is a great place to start. I love this meal — it’s a great way to repurpose ingredients and make one comforting meal. Topped with creamy mashed potatoes, once baked, they became ever so crispy on top with a slight golden tint to them. If you are looking for an easy meal during a busy week, then this is your go-to recipe.
Yields 3-4 servings
2 cups lentils, cooked
3 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 cup peas
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 tsp. dijon mustard
2 bay leaves
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp, fresh thyme
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 Tbsp. avocado oil
1/2 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, add the oil, onions, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 7-10 minutes or until translucent, not browned.
- Turn to high heat, add the wine and deglaze pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes and reduce heat to medium.
- Add the cooked lentils, peas, tomato paste, Dijon, bay leaves, vegetable stock, thyme, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes on low-heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- One thickened, scoop mixture into a grease casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes and optional smoked paprika.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.
Chef’s tip: Feel free to add mushrooms to this dish!
You must be logged in to post a comment.