Italian Wedding Soup has always been one of my favorite soups, especially growing up as a kid. Thanks to SunFlower Family, I’m able to recreate some awesome meatless meatballs using their sunflower haché, while keeping it 100% vegan. It’s packed with protein and a great alternative to tofu, tempeh, or seitan.
3 (16 oz.) vegetable broth
2-1/4 cups chopped escarole
1 cup Acini de pepe or pearl couscous
1 box Sunflower Haché
1 small onion, grated
2 Tbsp. avocado oil
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 4 Tbsp. filtered water, mixed
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
- Preheat air fryer or oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, soak the haché according to the box instructions. Combine the onion, parsley, egg replacer, garlic cloves, salt, breadcrumbs, and nutritional yeast. Using a Tbsp., shape the mixture into 1-inch round “meatballs”; Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the vegetable broth to a boil on medium-high heat. Add the acini de pepe, and escarole; Simmer on medium for 10 minutes, or until al dente.
- Using a 1 tsp. measuring spoon, roll meatless meatballs into rounds and place into air fryer.
- Cook “meatballs” for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Add to individual soup bowls with broth before serving.
- Serve warm
Chef’s tip: Add a can of mashed black beans or chickpeas! The meatballs will not hold together when cooking in the broth, so be sure to cook them in the oven.
You must be logged in to post a comment.