Italian Wedding Soup has always been one of my favorite soups, especially growing up as a kid. Thanks to SunFlower Family, I’m able to recreate some awesome meatless meatballs using their sunflower haché, while keeping it 100% vegan. It’s packed with protein and a great alternative to tofu, tempeh, or seitan.
3 (16 oz.) vegetable broth
2-1/4 cups chopped escarole
1 cup Acini de pepe or pearl couscous
1 box Sunflower Haché
1 small onion, grated
2 Tbsp. avocado oil
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 4 Tbsp. filtered water, mixed
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
- Preheat air fryer or oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, soak the haché according to the box instructions. Combine the onion, parsley, egg replacer, garlic cloves, salt, breadcrumbs, and nutritional yeast. Using a Tbsp., shape the mixture into 1-inch round “meatballs”; Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the vegetable broth to a boil on medium-high heat. Add the acini de pepe, and escarole; Simmer on medium for 10 minutes, or until al dente.
- Using a 1 tsp. measuring spoon, roll meatless meatballs into rounds and place into air fryer.
- Cook “meatballs” for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Add to individual soup bowls with broth before serving.
- Serve warm
Chef’s tip: Add a can of mashed black beans or chickpeas! The meatballs will not hold together when cooking in the broth, so be sure to cook them in the oven.