Sweeten up your life with this vegan Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. Super moist and full of flavor! Inspired by Dan and Méz amazing pineapple leather wristband and classic-style watch, I thought why not veganize an old favorite of mine. It’s perfect for the holidays or re creating that flip-flop and t-shirt weather vibe.
1/2 cup Vitacost light brown sugar
1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
10 pineapple slices, fresh or canned
16-19 maraschino cherries
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup organic cane sugar
3/4 cup oat milk
1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 2 Tbsp. filtered water
1-1/3 cup King Arthur organic flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9×2 inch round cake pan, melt the butter in the oven. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter; arranging the pineapple slices over the brown sugar. Place cherries in the center and gaps where the pineapple slices touch.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder; set aside. In a stand mixer, beat together the sugar and shortening, about 2 minutes. Mix together the egg replaced and water and allow to sit until thickens. Add the egg replacer and oat milk, mixing until well combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the stand mixer. Once combined, beat for 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high. Pour the batter directly on top of the pineapple slices and cherries.
- Bake for roughly 50 to 55 minutes or until the cake edges pull away from the cake pan. Once done baking, place a heat proof plate on top of the cake pan and flip it over. Allow to sit for 1 minute to let the caramel drizzle over; remove pan.
- Serve warm with a side of vegan vanilla bean ice cream.
Chef’s tip: Remove the cake quickly from the pan otherwise the fruit will stick to the bottom. Have a cake board or plate ready to go.
You must be logged in to post a comment.