Packed with tons of flavor, Birria tacos are one of the best Mexican dishes around. This plant-based version is made with oyster mushrooms and a homemade sauce that is super quick and easy to make!
1 Tbsp. avocado oil
10 oz. oyster mushrooms, shredded
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
1/4 cup Birria Sauce
8-12 flour tortillas
1 cup plant-based cheddar cheese
4 Tbsp. avocado oil
1 onion, diced
1 cup baby Bella mushrooms, cleaned and diced
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp. smoked flavoring
1 chili pepper
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. smoked sea salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 lime, juiced
- In a pot on medium heat, add oil and saute onions and mushrooms for 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Remove bay leaves.
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, add shredded mushrooms, garlic powder, salt and sauté for roughly 15 minutes, just until the edges begin to crisp up. Add 1 1/4 cups of the above sauce and cook another 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat non stick skillet on medium heat. Dip tortillas into broth and place on pan. Add cheese, mushrooms. Fry your tacos for 2-3 minutes and fold in half.
- Serve with side of guacamole, salsa, and non-dairy sour cream.
Chef’s tip: Remove some of the liquid and veggies into a jar and blend into a thick sauce.
You must be logged in to post a comment.