Don’t let its gourmet presentation trick you. This half-baked dessert is actually one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make. Simply create the creamy base by blending soaked cashews with fresh, aromatic ingredients for a tangy, yet oh-so-sweet, treat. Full disclosure: the first time I made this pie was for a housewarming party and just moments after placing it down on the buffet table, it was devoured. Trust me, this light, guilt-free dessert is ideal for any occasion.
Yields 8 slices
1 cup Vitacost organic whole raw cashews, soaked
1/3 cup Vitacost organic maple syrup
1 can full fat coconut milk
3/4 cup lime, juice
5 Tbsp. organic corn starch
1 Tbsp. lime zest, to garnish
2 cups almonds
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
3-4 mejdool dates, pitted
1/2 tsp. Simply Organic almond extract
1/4 cup oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter and pour into a food processor with the crust ingredients. Pulse until well combined.
- Press crust mixture down into sprayed cheesecake pan until evenly distributed.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown (careful not to burn).
- Mix all ingredients together in a blender. Then pour into a sauce pan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Stirring constantly, allow to boil for approx. 8 minutes or until it has thickened (if any lumps form, you can always smooth it out in the blender again).
- Once thickened, pour into pre-pressed pie crust. Place in to the refrigerator to set for 4-6 hours or store in freezer overnight for best results.
- Serve with vegan whipped cream and lime zest on top.
Chef’s tip: Depending on your preference for tartness or sweetness, you can always add more lime juice, zest, or maple syrup.