Juicy watermelon with roasted butternut squash is an interesting and new way to treat yourself during those autumn nights. This light and refreshing salad paired with a red wine vinaigrette is a delicious combination of sweet and savory! If you are looking for some extra protein, hemp seeds are a great touch with also add extra texture to any dish. This dish was inspired by a recent outing to one of my favorite restaurants. I am sure glad that I was able to make my own version of this delicious fall-inspired salad.
Yields 2 salads
1/4 watermelon, diced into medium cubes
1 butternut squash, cut in half and de-seeded
5 oz. arugula
1 cup walnuts, rough chop
1/2 cup avocado oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. balsamic reduction
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. Vitacost Pink Himalayan Fine Salt
1/4 tsp. Spicely Organics ground black pepper
1 tsp. lemon juice, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel butternut squash and slice in half length-wise. Remove seeds and rinse- you can dry them and store in the freezer or you can roast them.
- Take your prepared squash and dice it in to long pieces.
- Place onto a lightly oiled pan and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool.
- While squash is cooling, in a small measuring glass, mix together all dressing ingredients and stir until well mixed, set aside.
- For your salad, put arugula into a large bowl. Add watermelon, walnuts, butternut squash, and hemp seeds (save some to top salad with). Pour dressing over and mix to fully coat.
Chef’s tips: You can brush the squash with vegan butter and brown sugar if you would like to caramelize your squash a bit and add a different flavor to the salad.
You must be logged in to post a comment.