These cookies pack an amazing flavor combination with the saffron, lemon, and cardamom! Although I added saffron to the recipe, the cardamom is still the main flavor (I just love how the saffron compliments the other spices). These cookies are a great way to end any meal or dinner party, so cozy up with a nice fire and enjoy this amazing light and airy treat.
Yields 15 cookies
1/2 cup Earths Balance Vegan Buttery Stick, cubed
1/2 cup Woodstock organic cane sugar
1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 2 Tbsp. filtered water , combined
1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp. King Arthur organic flour (1-3/4 cup)
1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. saffron
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In your Kitchen-aid stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar until creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium glass bowl, combine sifted flour with cardamom, lemon juice, and salt.
- Add mixture to the butter and sugar slowly until dough has formed.
- On a baking sheet, spray with oil or use baking mat so cooking don’t stick. Using a cookie scooper, dispense cookie from scooper or roll up the dough into 1″ rounds and flatten surface into a disc shape.
- Bake cooking for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Chef’s tip: Chill your butter and if you do not want to use a half and half mixture for the flour, you can use 1-3/4 cups of wheat flour.