I know what you are thinking, “these cookies are unbearable to look at without a taste”.. Id have to agree myself! In the spirit of giving this holiday season my good friend shared her spiced polar bear cookies with me, so I wanted to share my plant based rendition of her famous cookie with you all. Slightly dusted with powdered sugar and finished with chocolate chips and a red hot candy, this fun recipe is perfect for any snow day or even rainy day.
Yields 27 cookies
1 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup Vitacost brown sugar
1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 2 Tbsp. filtered water, mixed
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
2-3/4 cups King Arthur organic flour
chocolate chips for the eyes, mini if doing smaller cookies
red hot candies for the nose
- In a KitchenAid stand mixer, cream together the sugars and butter for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the egg replacer, vanilla, spices, salt, and mix until combined. Sift the flour into the mixture until the dough forms. Wrap the dough and place into the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and make (48) 1-inch balls and (144) 1/4-inch balls for the ears and nose, flattening slightly.
- Take a tablespoon to make even spheres for the face and a 1/4 teaspoon for the ears and nose. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the cookies on.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes, or until set (not browned, roughly 12 minutes).
- Remove from oven and directly dust in powder sugar completely, pressing the chocolate chips carefully for the eyes and the red hot for the nose quickly.
- Allow to cool in the fridge so the chocolate and powder sugar do not melt.
- Serve with hot chocolate or coffee.
Chef’s tip: Instead of cardamom, you could use cloves instead.
You must be logged in to post a comment.