When I was a kid growing up, I couldn’t wait for my grandmother to bring these fresh-piping hot latkes out of the kitchen. This classic style potato latke is unbearably hard to resist with that crispy, salty and oh so fluffy center! Just add a spoonful of homemade applesauce on top and you’ll be pleasantly delighted by those traditional latke flavors melding in your mouth.
Yields 8-10 latkes
4 cups of potatoes, shredded and pressed
1 Tbsp. matzo meal
1/4 cup onion, shredded and pressed
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 2 Tbsp. filtered water
1/2 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/4 tsp, ground black pepper
Oil for frying
- Using a box grater, shred the potatoes and onion together. Using a towel or napkin, squeeze out all of the water and set the drained potato and onion into a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- In a skillet, add oil and set to medium-high heat. Start with 1/4 cup and if you need more oil, you can. Add a spoonful of the mixture until pan is filled and cook for 2-3 minutes or until each side is brown and crispy. Flip and brown the other side an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat until potato mixture is all gone.
- Serve warm with choice of apple sauce of sour cream.
Chef’s tip: Don’t forget to add a spoonful of sour cream on top of these if you’d like as well!