If you’ve never been to a chili cook off before then you need to try one! There is something I greatly enjoy about sharing food with friends, family, or even coworkers. This spin of an authentic Texas red chili is made with fresh cayenne chili’s, mushrooms for the mock “meat”, and tons of other seasonings and flavors. You’ll also notice that I chose not use beans! I’ve always been curious to see what an “authentic” chili would be without the beans so I decided to give it a go. Personally, I’m team beans when it comes to my bowl of chili but this is still delicious. What do you think? Are you team beans or team no beans? Comment below and let me know.
Yields 2 servings
6 to 8 red Chili peppers
1-1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. cumin
4 Tbsp. avocado oil
2 lbs baby Bella mushrooms, cubed
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups vegetable stock
3-4 Tbsp. hemp seeds
2 cups filtered water
2 Tbsp. corn flour
1-1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast the chili’s for 25-30 minutes, just before the outsides begin to blacken.
- While wearing gloves, place chili’s into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 3-5 minutes. The steam that is trapped will help the skin loosen up. Remove the skin, de seed, and toss the scraps away.
- In a blender, combine the chili’s, chili powder, cumin, pepper, garlic, tomato paste, vegetable stock, water, flour, brown sugar, vinegar, and pulse until well mixed and combined. Set aside
- In a large pot, add the olive oil with onions and turn to medium-high heat. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until translucent. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Pour in the chili sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer on low heat, cover and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours, stirring frequently.
- Serve plain or with vegan sour cream, green onions, and cheese.
Chef’s tip: You can always add a cup of beans and corn to this recipe, however, this is an authentic chili made without beans.