Are you tired of putting out chips and dip for your family parties and looking for an alternative to the “unhealthy” snacks we load up on during the holidays? Well look no further, because I have this amazing plant-based cashew cheese board with five cheese wheels. This recipe shows you how to take one plain (scrumptious and delicious) cashew cheese and turn it into crafted artisan cheese that will have your guests asking where you purchased it from. Although this recipe does take a bit of time to make, it is well worth every bite.
Yields 4-5 servings per wheel
Plain (Cheese Base):
3 cups Vitacost unsalted cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup filtered water
1 capsule Vitacost ROOT2 Extra Strength Probiotic Vegan – 50 billion CFU
1/2 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
- In a bowl, cover the cashews with water for about 9 hours (or overnight). Drain and rinse the cashews. Set aside.
- In a blender, add the cashews, probiotic powder (from the capsules), and water. Blend ingredients until smooth in texture.
- Using two cheese clothes layered in a colander, pour the mixture into the lines colander- folding the cheesecloth on top.
- Place this in a warm spot to culture for roughly 24-36 hours.
- Serve on one big cheese board or individually with fresh fruit, dried fruit, cookies, pretzels, medjool dates, sun-dried tomato, grapes, crackers, or any of your own choices.
Herb-Coated Cheese Wheel:
3 tsp. fresh thyme
3 tsp. fresh rosemary
4 Tbsp. fresh parsley
1-1/2 tsp. Lemon zest, fresh
1/2 tsp Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
- Roll the plain cheese into the herb mix. Allow to set in fridge after rolling to hold its shape.
Blueberry-Smash Breakfast Cheese:
4 tsp. blueberries, smashed
2 tsp. blueberries, chopped
- Add the smashed and chopped blueberries, mix and place into the fridge for 1-2 hours to set.
Pistachio and Sun-dried Tomato Holiday Cheese:
1/2 cup pistachio, chopped to coat
1/4 cup sun-dried tomato, to coat
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley
3 tsp. fresh thyme
4 tsp. fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
- Mix herbs into the cheese, refrigerate for 1-2 hours to set in mold. Roll in pistachio and sun-dried tomato.
Pecan-Chip Cookie “Cheesecake” Wheel with Strawberry Jam:
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup Simple Mills pecan cookies, crumbled
3 tsp. Vitacost chocolate chips
3 tsp. strawberry jam, on side
- Combine plain cheese base, chocolate chips, maple syrup and mix until well combined. Place in the fridge as well for 1-2 hours to set shape. Remove and roll in fine cookie crumbles.
Chef’s tip: Feel free to use the plain cheese as you wish to create a flavor of your liking!
You must be logged in to post a comment.