This creamy gourmet mushroom risotto is a real crowd pleaser and a must try! Making a creamy homemade risotto takes time but its well worth it. With just a few simple ingredients, you can turn plain rice into a delicious entree or side dish.
Yield 5 servings
.7 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. avocado oil + 2 Tbsp. vegan butter
16 oz. sliced baby Bella mushrooms
1/2 cup shallots, chopped
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 sprig thyme
2 Tbsp. vegan butter
1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/4 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup vegan parmesan
Parsley, to garnish
- In medium pot, bring vegetable broth to boil and reduce heat to low. Add porcini mushrooms, cover and cook for 4 minutes. Remove porcini mushrooms and slice.
- In large pot over medium heat, warm avocado oil and butter mixture. Add porcini mushrooms, baby Bella mushrooms, shallots and onions; cook for 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer mixture (including liquid) to bowl and set aside.
- In same large pot, combine 2 tablespoons vegan butter with uncooked rice for 1 minute (avoid browning rice). Add salt, pepper and white wine. Cook until liquid absorbs.
- Return mushroom mixture to pot with rice. Slowly pour in 1/2 cup hot vegetable broth and stir until mostly absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup and so on until rice absorbs all of the liquid (this step takes roughly 35 minutes). Remove thyme spring and stir in vegan parmesan.
- Spoon into bowls, garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Chef’s tip: In step No. 4, make sure liquid absorbs completely before adding more hot broth. This is VERY important!