When I think of the ultimate comfort food, I think of Roast recipes with gravy. So why does a plant-based Roast have to be any different? When any food roasts in garlic, vegetables and is smeared in gravy, everyone will be asking “when is dinner”. This meal is an easy recipe that will remind you of any meat based roast beef or tenderloin. The great thing about this type of meal is that you can add any kind of side dish you would like next to the roast; such as brussels sprouts or roasted carrots, the options are endless.
Yields 12-14 servings
8 oz. extra firm tofu, pressed and drained
1/4 cup baby bella mushrooms
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. avocado oil
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1-1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. tamari sauce
1 half beet, roasted
2 tsp. parsley, chopped
1 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. dried mustard seed, ground
1 tsp. rosemary, chopped
1 tsp. ground white pepper
1 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/2 tsp. celery seed, ground
2-1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup oat flour
1-1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4. tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Fine Pink Salt
1/4 cup baby bella mushroom, chopped
1 Tbsp. corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a food processor, combine the tofu, wine, broth, beets, garlic, onion powder, lemon juice, oil, tamari, parsley, sage, mustard seed, salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth.
- In a bowl, stir together the vital wheat gluten, oat flour, and nutritional yeast. Mix the blended ingredients into the dry mixture and combine until dough forms.
- Knead dough for roughly two minutes, so all of the ingredients are well combined. Shape the dough into a log shape and roll in foil. Be sure to crimp the ends together to keep the shape while it cooks.
- Bake in the oven for 2-1/2 hours, turning every 30 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, add the vegetable broth, onions, carrots, garlic, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Add the corn starch and use a handheld emersion blender to combine the gravy, salt and pepper to taste. Once thickened, remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove from the oven and heat a skillet on medium-high heat with avocado oil (1 Tbsp.) Place the cooked roast into the pan and sear the sides for brown color.
- Slice and serve with gravy and choice of sides.
Chef’s tip: If you would like to add some additional flavor, feel free to add 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring to the wet ingredients.
You must be logged in to post a comment.